Which of these “commandments” do you habitually obey? Tally your score and check it against the scale at the end of the list.
- Flaunt the privileges of rank: Spend on frills and perks in the face of adversity.
- Flout the rules you expect others to obey.
- Put off hard decisions as long as possible so that rumors can grow wildly on the grapevine.
- Pepper your staff with meaningless projects and pointless questions — hire consultants to give you the “straight scoop.”
- Hire outsiders for senior management positions and create make-work jobs for your cronies.
- Keep your door open to whiners and let them second-guess your managers’ decisions.
- Promise vision but deliver pap.
- Talk teamwork but don’t let anyone in on your game plan — keep ’em all guessing.
- Talk empowerment but micromanage.
- Keep your board in the dark, except when you turn on the rosy spotlights.
Score of 0: You lie to yourself all the time; see a psychiatrist.
Score of 1-3: You sleep a lot during the day; see a physician.
Score of 4-6: You’re a normal boss, which isn’t necessarily good news.
Score of 7-9: You could give “Chainsaw Al” Dunlap a run for his money.
Score of 10: So you’re the model for the pointy-haired boss!